The Verb in French for damage is abîmer
in French is abîmer
Here is the fully conjugated French verb, in all the main tenses, laid out so that you can learn them onsite in this free French verb lesson.
For regular updates of verbs added to this site click on the RSS feed button on the top left of the screen, and you will be automatically notified whenever a new French word appears onsite.
Learning French verbs is best done by recognising the patterns that they follow. There are several patterns, but most of them follow regular patterns
. If you practise these conjugations on these free online French language learning webpages, you will soon get to recognise the patterns.
This particular French verb, abîmer - to damage, is a regular ER verb, meaning that it follows the pattern that most French verbs ending in the letters ER follow.
Learn the French verb abîmer fully conjugated
The 5 Simple Tenses of the conjugated French verb abîmer - to damage
Present Indicative Tense conjugations of abîmer
présent de l’indicatif
- I damage
- you damage - (familiar or informal)
il, elle, on abîme
- he, she, it, one damages
- we damage
- you damage (formal or plural)
ils, elles abîment
- they damage
Imperfect Indicative Tense conjugations of abîmer
imparfait de l’indicatif
- I damaged
- I was damaging
- you damaged- (familiar or informal)
- you were damaging
il, elle, on abîmait
- he, she, it, one damaged
- he, she, it, one was damaging
- we damaged
- we were damaging
- you damaged- (formal or plural)
- you were damaging
ils, elles abîmaient
- they damaged
- they were damaging
Future Tense conjugations of abîmer
- I will damage
- you will damage (familiar or informal)
il, elle, on abîmera
- he, she, it, one will damage
- we will damage
- you will damage (formal or plural)
ils, elles abîmeront
- they will damage
Conditional Tense conjugations of abîmer
- I would damage
- you would damage (familiar or informal)
il, elle, on abîmerait
- he, she, it, one would damage
- we would damage
- you would damage (formal or plural)
ils, elles abîmeraient
- they would damage
Present Subjunctive Tense conjugations of abîmer
présent de subjonctif
- that I may damage
que tu abîmes
- that you may damage(familiar or informal)
qu’il, qu’elle, qu’on abîme
- that he, she, it, one may damage
que nous abîmions
- that we may damage
que vous abîmiez
- that you may damage(formal or plural)
qu’ils, qu’elles abîment
- that they may damage
The Four Compound Tenses of the French verb abîmer - the verb ’to damage’ in French
Past Participle of abîmer is: abîmé -damaged.
The past participle
is very important as it is used to form the various compound tenses
, four of which are used in modern French conversation and writing. Check out the tenses in the tables below.
Again learning the patterns that the compound verbs follow, means that you will soon see that these patterns repeat again and again. The compound tenses are always the same conjugations of either avoir or être, followed by the past participle.
Realising this will make your learning of French verbs easier.
Compound Past or Past Indefinite Tense conjugations of abîmer
- I have damaged or I did damage or
- I damaged
tu as abîmé
- you have damaged or you did damage - (familiar or informal) or
- you damaged
il, elle, on a abîmé
- he, she, it, one has damage or did damage
- he, she, it damaged
nous avons abîmé
- we have damaged or we did damage
- we damaged
vous avez abîmé
- you have damaged or you did damage (formal or plural) or
- or we damaged
ils, elles ont abîmé
- they have damaged or they did damage
- they damaged
Past Perfect Indicative or Pluperfect Tense conjugations of abîmer - damage in French
plus-que-parfait de l’indicatif
- I had damaged
tu avais abîmé
- you had damaged- (familiar or informal)
il, elle, on avait abîmé
- he, she, it, one had damaged
nous avions abîmé
- we had damaged
vous aviez abîmé
- you had damaged (formal or plural)
ils, elles avaient abîmé
- they had damaged
Future Perfect or Future Anterior Tense conjugations of abîmer
- I will have damaged
tu auras abîmé
- you will have damaged- (familiar or informal)
il, elle, on aura abîmé
- he, she, it, one will have damaged
nous aurons abîmé
- we will have damaged
vous aurez abîmé
- you will have damaged- (formal or plural)
ils, elles auront abîmé
- they will have damaged
Conditional Perfect Tense conjugations of abîmer
- I would have damaged
tu aurais abîmé
- you would have damaged- (familiar or informal)
il, elle, on aurait abîmé
- he, she, it, one would have damaged
nous aurions abîmé
- we would have damaged
vous auriez abîmé
- you would have damaged- (formal or plural)
ils, elles auraient abîmé
- they would have damaged
Imperative Tense conjugations of abîmer
- let’s damage!
Other Less Common Tenses in French Verbs
There are other tenses in French but these are not really used in conversation. Hence we have not conjugated the French verb abîmer
in the following tenses. They are useful to be aware of, as you may come across them in literature.
Simple Tenses not used much in French conversation these days...
- The Simple Past (or past definite tense) passé simple. This tense is generally used in formal literature and historic writing. It is used very infrequently nowadays except for the verbs être and avoir, which should be learned in these tenses. The passé composé is used in its place these days.
- Imperfect Subjunctive - imparfait du subjonctif. Again this is used in formal writing and old literature and not used in modern writing or conversation. The present subjunctive is used these days.
Compound Tenses not used often in modern French conversation
- Past Anterior tense - passé antérieur
- Past Subjunctive tense - passé du subjonctif
- Past Perfect subjunctive or pluperfect subjunctive - plus-que-parfait du subjonctif
All these French lessons are brought to you free by your online French school. Keep keeping back here to this internet French language class on French verbs, such as the French verb abîmer.
Keep returning to these pages for more information for the person keen to learn French. We are regularly adding more French lessons to the site, to assist your French learning and consolidation. To get free automatic updates of new materials added to the site click on the RSS button at the top of this webpage.
The word in French for to damage is the French verb abîmer.
Enjoy learning French. Learn your French conjugations here at the 200 Words a Day! Learn French online language school, and try out the sample French sentences which put words like damage into sentences.
Menu: More French Words like the French Verb abîmer (to damage in French) | Accelerated Learning French Verbs
200 Words a Day! from exceltra, makers of Excelerated Learning Software.
Transcity Properties Ltd, 32 Alverton, Great Linford, Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, MK14 5EF, United Kingdom © 2007. The French verb abîmer conjugated here with all its conjugations.